Friday, March 25, 2011

Entomobrya corticalis

I spend a significant amount of time searching for springtails (Collembola) under the leaf litter and logs in the woods behind my house. Since these creatures are difficult to see and photograph, they provide a unique identification challenge which make them exciting creatures to study. Often times, the furthest that a springtail can be identified is to order or family. Some species, however, are quite unique and species-level identification is possible.

Without greater magnification, this springtail is only identifiable to family level (Neanuridae).

Over this past weekend, I took photos of what appeared to be at least 10 springtail species. However, only three were identifiable to species-level from my photos. The first two were Hypogastrura nivicola and Dicyrtoma fusca. The third individual that turned out to be identifiable was not as easy to identify. In order to determine the identity of these springtails, I searched through the guide pages at BugGuide. This great site is set up so that after searching for my "bug" in the guide, I can post a photo with a possible identification that an expert will confirm. For this springtail species, I had narrowed it down to family, but none of the species in the guide matched the springtail I had found, so I added the photo to BugGuide.

This morning, I received an email from Frans Janssens, a Collembola expert, who had identified my springtail as Entomobrya corticalis. The reason I was not able to find an identification is because my observation and photograph was a new record for the United States. This species usually inhabits forests of northern Europe and Asia.

Entomobrya corticalis 

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the new discovery, Corey! I just recently started looking around to see which of the other editors on BugGuide also had blogs... and was very pleased to find several -- including yours. I, too, was first a lover of birds, before my interests broadened to the intense study of all things in the natural world. :-)

    I thought I should reference this ongoing discussion in the forums, if you were not already aware of it... There is an attempt being made to comprehensively compile BugGuide records of "first occurrences" of species within the US. You should definitely add a comment alerting the community of your find. Here's the link:
    http://bugguide.net/node/view/504744

    All my best and looking forward to reading future posts,

    ReplyDelete